VISIT THE MARTHA'S VINEYARD MUSEUM
2014-2015 Schedule of Hours
October 14, 2014 - May 22, 2015
Museum Galleries and Gift Shop: Monday - Saturday, 10am-4pm
May 23, 2015 - October 12, 2015
Museum Galleries, Cooke House (opening June 13) and Gift Shop: Monday - Saturday and Holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, and Columbus Day), 10am-5pm
Sunday, 12 noon-5pm
Open to the public Tuesday and Thursday, 1pm-4pm, or by appointment.
Closed for the following holidays: MLK Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Day through New Year's Day.
Adults: $7 summer; $6 fall through spring
Seniors: $6 summer; $5 fall through spring
Children ages 6-15: $4 year round
Members and Children under 6: Free
Groups of 10 or more (please call 508-627-4441 x110 to schedule ahead)
Adults and Seniors: $5 year round
Children ages 6-15: $3 year round
Historic Edgartown Pass: $15
Admission to the Museum, Edgartown or Gay Head Lighthouse, and Preservation Trust properties.
Lighthouse Combo Pass: $10
Admission to the Museum and Edgartown or Gay Head Lighthouse.
The MVM is proud to be a Blue Star Museum. Active and veteran military personnel and their families are invited to tour the Museum for free from Memorial to Labor Day annually with proper identification.
Members of the Massachusetts Teachers' Association are invited to tour the Museum for half price and receive a 10% discount in the gift shop with proper identification.
Members of WUMB 91.9 FM - Boston Folk Music Public Radio get $1 off the price of a Lighthouse Combo Pass for admission to the Museum and Edgartown or Gayhead Lighthouse with your WUMB Member Card.
The MVM is proud to be a member of the American Association of State and Local History. The Museum welcomes AASLH members to tour the Museum for free with member identification.
The MVM welcomes members of the American Alliance of Museums. Members of the AAM are welcome to visit for free with your AAM member card.
The MVM is proud to be a member of the New England Museum Association. The Museum welcomes fellow members to tour the Museum for free with your member card.
The MVM is proud to be a member of the North American Reciprocal Museum (NARM) Association. Members from other NARM institutions who present a current membership card validated with a gold North American Reciprocal sticker are entitled to: free/member admission during regular Museum hours, member discounts at the Museum shop, and discounts on programming/lecture tickets.
Island Club members receive 10% savings on any level of membership of Museum (from $25 to $5,000). Island Club members also receive a buy one museum admission, receive the second free deal ($7 in Summer, $6 in Winter). Must present valid Island Club card.
The MV Museum is proud to present a partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Membership cardholders will receive free admission to the museum when they present their card.
- Gate House: Enter the Museum here
- Cooke House: Visit the c.1740s Colonial home lived in by four generations of the Cooke family
- Herb Garden: Take in a fragrant blend of culinary and curative plants
- Gale Huntington Research Library & Archives: Research a collection of primary source materials from the 17th to the 21st century (open Tuesdays and Thursdays only from 1-4pm)
- First Order Fresnel Lens: View 1,000 individual prisms that illuminated the Gay Head Lighthouse from 1854 until 1951
- Tryworks: View a replica of the oil processing station found on the deck of a working whale ship
- Carriage Shed: Explore vessels and vehicles such as an old whaleboat, pieces of the Martha's Vineyard Railroad, and more
- Pease House Galleries & Museum Gift Shop: Wander through five exhibitions and visit the gift shop
- Ventilator/ Lightning Rod: Examine a 1900s lightning finial for evidence of being struck
- Anchor (not marked on map, located along Cooke Street near the Gate House): Study the 1900s anchor from the Schooner Liberty, an Edgartown fishing boat
59 School Street, Edgartown, MA 02539
The Museum is situated in the Historic District of Edgartown, 2 blocks from the Old Whaling Church, the Vineyard Transit Authority Edgartown bus stop, and the shops on Main Street. Our entrance is at the intersection of Cooke and School Streets. There is parking available off School Street.
There are Vineyard Transit Authority (VTA) buses that run from both ferry terminals to Edgartown. From the Vineyard Haven Ferry Terminal, take either Bus #1 (Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road) or Bus #13 (Beach Road) to Edgartown. From the Oak Bluffs Ferry Terminal, take Bus #13. Both buses stop at the Edgartown Visitors Center on Church Street. Once off the bus, walk to Main Street, cross the street, and turn right onto School Street. From there, walk two blocks to reach the Museum.
Traveling by Car
Off street parking is available in a small dirt lot off School Street. There is also free one hour parking on School Street if the lot happens to be full. Drivers can also find limited parking on and around Main Street.